Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: Father's Day

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Father's Day

Yesterday I drove to Target to look for a new CD player for the car. While I was there I saw a least 20 people in front of the card rack looking for father's day cards. I got a little wistfull thinking that I had no reason to get a card as my dad passed away sometime ago. When he got out of the hospital from his last heart surgery he had me pick him up in Pittsburgh. He told me to bring one of his cigars and two cans of beer. This was at 9 in the morning. He lit up that cigar and popped one of those cans open and told me to drive him home. On the way home he had me stop at a bar so he could get a shot and some more beer for the road home. And now I wonder where my alcoholism might have come from. When I got out of the hospital in my last near-death experience I immediately went to the store and bought cigs. I waited a bit for the liquor but eventually went right back to the way I used to be. Such a waste. Today is also the anniversary of the best Father's Day gift I ever gave my dad. I took off for Houston 24 years ago today. Dad really liked his gift! I'd only stayed with them a few weeks before I moved here but I guess, to dad, it seemed like years. We fought a lot during my 20's but after I hit 30 we got along pretty well. I don't know if it was just me maturing or him having heart surgery and mellowing a bit. Whatever the reason we could now enjoy quality drinking time together. Ah the good ole days. I do still miss him and every once in a while I cook something he used to make or gave me a recipe for. Sort of my way of remembering him.

3 Comments:

Blogger dAAve said...

nice post, nice memories

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice Larry. It's hard sometimes I know, but we always have the memories :) Happy fathers day!!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

You're just a big softie! Thanks for sharing those memories. Try Best Buy for cd players, they always have some on sale and they install them too. Get one with a removeable face, although the last time my car was broken into they took the player without the face.

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home