Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: What do you remember?

Saturday, May 14, 2005

What do you remember?

I've been thinking. Look out! To be honest, I really thought that once I quit having blackouts I'd be able to remember everything that happened to me. Yeah, right. I remember that I don't have Altzhiemer's and that maybe everything that happened to me yesterday wasn't worth remembering and yet, I question why? don't I remember what I read yesterday? Blogs for example. Once I get there to read today's post I remember I read it yesterday but not before. If I think about it, I'm bombarded daily with things to remember. There's my lists of things to do, the news, what happened at the meeting (should I show up) (the working man, don't you know?), did I see someone I know today or was it yesterday or did I dream it? I'm a fanatic about recording and watching my TV programs but I can't remember which ones I've watched. What books did I read recently? Am I going mad? Do I have Altzheimer's?? Maybe so. I guess if it's worth remembering I will. I now (newly learned) know to chop an onion really well and I guess I still remember how to type. So it's not all bad. I guess being sober is not quite the Nirevana I thought it would be but it's way better than what I had before...If I remember right.

5 Comments:

Blogger dAAve said...

methinks you DO remember that right!

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blackouts are an indication that brain cells are dying. I am not telling you this to make you feel some guilt. We all have some of that kind of damage. Staying sober, though, some scientists believe, with time some of the damage becomes undone. So, I guess my message to you is to stay sober with us. Your pals, Norris and Sergie

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My theory on the whole remembering thing is this....Im not sure that while we were drinking we really had the need or desire to rmeember anything. We never really thought about it.
Sure we remembered most things that were important, and we still do remember those things today., but I think when we get sober we thaink that miraculously we are going to remember every single thing that happens...um...no. We are recovering brain cells not sprouting thousands of new ones...lol

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To this day I have trouble remembering things. Seriously, I would really have to think long and hard what I had for dinner last night. Funny though when I drank I thought I had a great memory now I can't remember S$%#. I just hope my memory gets better. Continued peace in your recovery. - JJ

8:37 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

My memory is shot! I still have great recall of long ago events, people, what they were wearing, etc. These days I wonder if my short term memory is really shot, of if I just don't care about some of the things I used to.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home