Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: Religion and me.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Religion and me.



When Martin Luther King Jr. was killed that was the day I decided not to believe in church, God and Jesus. Many of the elders in my church were glad he was dead and I was appalled. I was young and under the impression that only good people went to church. What a dummy. My dad was raised Southern Baptist and wouldn't go to church except for holidays when Mom made him go. Through out my childhood my brother, sister and I were allowed to make up our own minds about religion, race, whatever. Mom and Dad didn't force their opinions on any of us as far as I know.
The other night when I was manning the phones, J. and I got into a discussion on religion. This is not a subject that I am usually comfortable talking about. It's only been this year, that I've been able to acknowledge the existence of God in my life and I believe that's because of AA. I've been able to open my eyes and see, for the first time, the possibilities that God is working with or through me. So anyway, I was describing my take on religion to J. and he said it reminded him of The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukov. I had read a book a couple years ago that really moved me but could not remember the name or author. So, rather than go out and buy one, I looked at my local library, online, found one and ordered it to be delivered to my local branch. Should be here in a few days. I love the internet!

5 Comments:

Blogger Scott W said...

What are those little string and stick thingies?

9:40 AM  
Blogger JJ said...

Hey I'm a recovering Catholic...it's taking me years to not think they way I was brought up. Anyway...yes do explain the pictures. Did you make them?
I see you,
JJ

5:46 AM  
Blogger Hannen said...

Ok guys. They're called God's Eyes. I learned to make them in church summer camp when I was a kid.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

How cool is it that I do not have to subscribe to anyone's concept of God? Revolutionary!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Trudging said...

I made God Eyes too! Cool, thank you for the memory.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home