Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: Good Meeting Yesterday

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Good Meeting Yesterday


Someone in the meeting yesterday said that when he burned his hand on the hot stove, he learned that he shouldn't touch it. When he (now I can't remember what he said next). But the gist of his talk was about for 20 years he drank even though he knew it was hurting him, just like when he burned his hand. It's the terrible disease of alcoholism in action. I know what he was talking about. When I would wake up each morning I'd check the garbage to see what I ate and drank that evening. I knew that my day would going to start with barfing and the shakes. And I'd check to see if the car was still there (one was stolen and stripped) or try to think where I might have parked it. My life was so unmanageable and I never blamed it on the alcohol. I blamed it on other people, fate, drugs anything but what it was. Drinking did one thing for me. It made me brave. Brave enough to go up to someone and talk or hit on them. Brave enough to do all the things I was afraid to do on my own. In the end I was always afraid. Afraid of who might say what, afraid of the dentist, the eye doctor, to leave the house (except to buy booze), to fly, etc. Dumb huh? I'm so glad I took the step to AA. My life is so good right now and I am grateful everyday to be alive and unafraid of what will come. Back to work. Later.

7 Comments:

Blogger Scott W said...

He said he ate a seafood pizza and spent the next few hours holding the toilet. Now, the thought of seafood pizza sends him over the edge. And he was so right about the drinking and not learning thing. But pizza nor a hot stove never took away the pain for a few hours.

AA teaches us how to live through pain and to let us make our lives better, and to chase away the afraids one day at a time.

2:15 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

I would comment, but I can't find the keyboard.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Autumn Storm said...

Congratulations on making it through and all the best in your future endeavours.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Congrats on the sobriety. My husband is a recovering alcoholic and I know it isn't easy. Keep up the good fight!

5:42 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

Hannen

You can set up your comment page not to accept anonymous comments.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Damn the spam. Great entry. I'm going to read more.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Hannen said...

I'm going to set up the comments section so it will block anonymous people cause I can't stand the spam. Sorry Queen Norr your going to have to sign in like a real blogger.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home