Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: Say What??

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Say What??

Say What?? I was just sitting here with the sound down low on the TV thinking about my trip home. Realized that I'll probably come back hearing impaired. My mom is hard of hearing in both ears, her boyfriend too, and even though they wear hearing aids the sound is way up on everything they own. I swear you can hear the TV in the next county. And I have to get used to repeating everything I say, again.

Still it's way better than it was when she wouldn't get a hearing aid. We'd go to the movies and she'd constantly ask what was just said on the screen. At one point all of her neighbors and I were thinking about chipping in and buying her one cause we were all tired of repeating ourselves. If I had one I think I'd wear it all the time. She takes them out as soon as she lays down to watch TV and that's when the sound goes up. And of course, we have to use the close captioning. I find myself reading the TV instead of listening. Oh well, as usual my trip home will be an experience I'm not likely to forget.

I've been surfing the net this morning looking for AA meetings and Gay AA meetings. Not any gay ones in Butler but there are a few in Pittsburgh. I hope to go to a meeting everyday while I'm there. I'll have the time for a change as I'm supposed to be on vacation. I was talking to my boss yesterday about my trip and we realized there's going to be a lot of work waiting for me when I get back. That's OK. It's nice to be missed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.butler-pa-aa.org/

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father was hearing impaired as well. I always found myself getting angry with him. Then, I had to remind myself that it wasn't something to get angry about. The next trip home, I would do the same thing again. It's difficult but not impossible to deal with. Take anonymous' suggestion for AA meetings in Butler. QN

1:56 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

Never been to Butler, but I LOVE going to meetings every day. It seems to work. For me.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Being hearing impaired myself, it is very difficult to deal with sometimes. People disregard the fact that I tell them over and over that I cannot hear when they speak softly, so I eventually start tuning them out. I miss out on some stuff I am sure, but other times it is a boon as there is so much bullshit in this world.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home