Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: The Old and the New....Me That Is.

Friday, June 03, 2005

The Old and the New....Me That Is.

Back in 1985 when I was diagnosed HIV+ I thought of it as a death sentence. Back then it pretty much was. So I decided then and there that there was absolutely no reason to save any money for my old age. It was also just the excuse I needed to go ahead and drink and drug myself to oblivion. After all, I was going to die really soon. Well, 20 years later, I'm still here and sober, no less. Today I got my usual SS check and for the first time a full paycheck from my new job. I normally spend every cent I have usually in one or two days. This morning I went to get the car inspected and they were too busy to take me unless I was willing to wait for 45 minutes. I said I'd be back and took off to the grocery store. As I got out of the car I just stopped moving and stood there. Then I got back in the car and came home thinking that the old me would have paid for whatever the garage said I needed. Instead I'm going to have a friend look it over before I take it to the garage to be inspected. Then I'll go in armed and prepared for their opinion. I have money in the bank and for the first time ever, I WANT TO KEEP IT THERE. Now that's unusual. So I know it will get spent no matter what I do but at least I'll try to keep it there as long as possible. In a few months, after a few paychecks things will level out and and I'll feel better about everything. I hope.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott W said...

Damn! I was just gonna ask you for a loan.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the Lang Family Trust and the SPCA, both very worth institutions and both requiring vast contributions. Every little bit helps. My nose in your face, not to mention your business. Momma Norris

7:29 AM  
Blogger Recovery Road London said...

Good for you.

I have an unhealthy relationship with money. It's one of my biggest character defects...

Good to read about your HIV status.

Good to read someone who's keeping it real.

regards

Kenny

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home