Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: My friend is trying to get sober.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

My friend is trying to get sober.

Serenity Practice: Freedom from fear...
Program Principle: Giving up fear offers us an opportunity to live free.
"Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is freedom."
Marilyn Ferguson, Contemporary writer, author of The Aquarian Conspiracy


He's been talking about doing it for a couple months and I've been supportive and non-threatening. He keeps asking how I did it and it reminds me of just how long it took for me to feel and enjoy being sober. As always, I've offered to go to a meeting with him if he wants. He says he doesn't want to get off work and instead of going home and drinking he'd have to go to a meeting. That's not how he wants to end his day. I just keep my mouth shut. I remember all the times that Norris just didn't say anything (I'm sure he could of) when I would talk about my fears and anger. I'm trying to help him but I won't expect anything from him. It's easy for me to remember all those times I went back out and drank. I'll be there for him...that's all I can do. Gotta get to work!

3 Comments:

Blogger Recovery Road London said...

You're the hand of AA. Well done you. one thing, though: my first sponsor (11 years continuous sobriety) said that he disengages from those kind of guys after a period of lots of talk and no action. Just a thought.

10:02 AM  
Blogger JJ said...

I know a couple people like that. I too just let them know I am here for them and listen.
I see you,
JJ

4:51 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Trying to get sober? No evidence given to support that fact. The real fact is that you can get sober and stay sober by just not drinking. Recovery and the wonderful life that is its reward is another thing altogether.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home