Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: Maybe Recovery is Catchy

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Maybe Recovery is Catchy

About the second day I started to work I told everyone in the office about my alcoholism and my experience in AA. I sometimes mention something that happened in a meeting or an event I went to involving AA. One of the ladies in the office today, told me she and her boyfriend had decided to quit drinking. She is one of the nicest people I've ever know and she's very often out sick. Turns out she was really out, hungover or drunk. I used to do that. It's been about a week for her. She mentioned how things have gotten a little edgy at home. I promised her that would pass and we talked about gratitude, her current depression and some of the things she's missed by being drunk, passed out or blacked out. I never suspected. She said she hadn't told anybody at work or her family and I suggested her family probably already knew. She chuckled and agreed. So by my being upfront about my addiction she was able to confide in me and know I (as one drunk to another) would know what she was talking about. I told her if she needed to talk or wanted company to go to a meeting, all she had to do was call me. I meant that. I was always well-meaning before when I was drinking but so often I'd back out or not be where I was supposed to be when I was supposed to be, because I was drinking. My heart was in the right place...but my head wasn't. Now I can be there for her and for other people who I can help.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott W said...

Carrying the message is one of the best ways to stay sober. It works when you work it.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Thats so good, I really wished I had someone to confide in. I too couldnt speak about it to my family. But as you say, they probably knew. Slowly, now I'm sober, they are saying small things which make me realise. I bet this lady feels good to have you to turn to :-)

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Setting a good example makes others feel comfortable talking to you. I think it was brave to open up about your drinking at work. You can't keep it unless you pass it on.-julie

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home