Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: Am I getting older or just smarter?

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Am I getting older or just smarter?


Thank Heaven for Clearasil!! When I was a teenager I used the Clearasil in a tube that was supposedly flesh colored. Not my flesh as it turned out. It left orange blotches all over my face but at least eventually, the zits disappeared. I never thought then that when I was in my 50's that I'd need it again. Every time I drink a soda or eat a candy bar I end up with the dreaded zit. I remember when I was in my 30's how I used to get up for work, shower in 10 minutes ( I had no hair then or now) and go to work. Now I shower for 10 minutes and then spend 20 or 30 minutes applying either moisturizer or a dryer to different parts of my body. It's like my body has separated into different zones. This part dry, this part oily. A few years ago I noticed that my toenails were getting really hard to trim. I told my doctor cause I thought it was from my HIV drugs. He laughed and said it was normal for someone who was getting older. The Bitch! So, maybe I'm not going into my old age gracefully but at least I'm here! Who would have ever thought I'd reach middle age and have a future for old age? Certainly, not I. I'm so grateful for the chance to do something with what's left of my life. I was telling a friend the other day about how much my life has changed since I got sober. I feel sorry for him because he structures his life around his available time for drinking. I used to do the same thing. I was always careful not to make any appointments for the days I had off, as those were my special drinking days. Unfortunately, they quickly stopped being special and every day was a day to drink. He really can't understand because he's still drinking every day. I love him and care about him but I can't really do anything but be there for him if he decides to take the plunge and try and stop drinking. I'm hoping that my positive experiences with being sober will help influence him to give it a try. I'm so lucky.

4 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

It was only after I stopped I realised to what extent I structured my time around drinking. I still cant get used to being able to make arrangements in advance! I have a friend in the same postition as yours. It does make one grateful to have seen the light? :-)

3:53 AM  
Blogger dAAve said...

that reminds me ...

9:24 AM  
Blogger dAAve said...

oh well, i forgot

9:24 AM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Gurl, don't get me started on zits over age 50!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home