Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: Halloween Eve

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween Eve



I went to our annual Halloween party last night. Chris and I go to our friend's Ken and Chuck's house and we hand out Halloween candy to the kids. They live in a nice suburban neighborhood in the Heights. Jim and Ed and Diane were there too. I was just a little anxious about going to another party where some people would be drinking but as I always say, if I get uncomfortable I can leave. Chris knows I might want to leave suddenly and I always make sure he has a ride if I'm leaving early. It seems to work well, for me. This night was special because it was also Diane's Birthday and she had retired that day from the IRS after 39 years of employment. Wow. I had gone to the Dollar store and got her some gag gifts so she'd have something to do with all that spare time since retiring. She laughed and seemed to like them. Especially the crossword book in LARGE PRINT. I'd brought two of my sparkling waters with me to drink and Diane had brought some Buckler's non-alcoholic beer for me too. I did have one, but stuck mostly to the sparkling water. (no calories) But what I noticed about my attitude last night was that when I saw that large bottle of Sky vodka (something I always made my martinis with) and that huge bottle of Kentucky bourbon (something I loved with Coke) I didn't feel anything. Not envy or a craving or anything. It just didn't affect me, this time. Oh, that it was always like that, I'd be so happy! I know I can't count on that happening every time. Sometimes, I'm going to want to drink like everyone else, but I won't. I know I can't drink like everyone else. I know I can't quit once I get started. Oh well, I did have a really great time last night and I'm glad I went. Hope you'all had a great Halloween too. Later.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott W said...

Non-alcoholic beers are very low alcohol beers with an alcohol content of less than 1/2 of 1% by volume but none of the beers offered are completely alcohol free.

Just sayin'.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Hannen said...

And you know what? I just told my therapist yesterday that I was going to get comments because I posted about that. I know, I know how some of you feel and you have every right to feel the way you do. As do I. I find nothing wrong with it except for the calories. So there. Ha and peace.

3:16 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

I say drink what you want.
Many people in AA have extensive experience in the marijuana maintenance program and say they're sober.
Many people in NA drink alcohol and say they stopped using drugs.
I just don't want them to tell me they are clean and sober and expect me to believe it.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home