Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: When I was at the doctor's

Saturday, December 03, 2005

When I was at the doctor's

he asked me if I exercised and I said of course I do. I walk from the house to the car every day. And that brings me to this story. My best friend is Chris. We were lovers in the early 80's when I first moved here and we've been best buds ever since. He watches Max when I leave town and I let him borrow my car when he needs to cause he doesn't have one of his own. I called him yesterday and told him I had his birthday present here and I wanted him to stop by. He came by this morning for coffee and I gave him a bag with a card inside. Inside the card was a key. He had no idea what it unlocked. Then he opened his small gifts. The first one was a light. The 2nd one was handle bar grips. That's when he got it. I was giving him my bike. He started to cry. From joy I hope. I got a little teary eyed too. Chris walks everywhere or takes the bus. He sometimes calls me to come and give him cover when he thinks someone is going to mug him. He has been mugged twice. I never use my bike. I just dust it occasionally. It's a classic, two toned red and black with big white wall tires and shiny silver fenders. The 3rd gift I gave him was a squeeze horn. He was so excited. We attached all of the new parts and he rode off into the morning. He was like a little kid with a new toy. I'm so happy he's happy. He just called. He asked, "How do you stop it?" I explained coaster brakes to him. He said he kept looking for the brakes on the handles and had to drag his feet to stop at the stop sign. Too funny.

3 Comments:

Blogger JJ said...

What a wonderful gift. It is gifts like that that mean the most...straight from the heart. Kudos my friend.
I see you,
JJ

2:45 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

Very nice of you Larry. I'm assuming that you gave him your bike, it wasn't clear in your story.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Sweet, very sweet.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home