Link I'll never drink again Vol. 2: I can really only take care of me.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I can really only take care of me.

My neighbor is the sweetest, nicest guy around. Unfortunately, for him, he's bipolar. Whatever that means? Sometimes he seems paranoid and sometimes he doesn't always make sense when he talks but eventually I get his drift. Today as I was leaving to walk the dog he called my name and I went over to his yard and he was doing handstands on a platform attached to the building. I think it was there for plants and not calisthenics. He told me, in a round about way, that he had forgotten to get a refill on his pills and that's why he was doing exercises in the air. Oh boy. I care about him. He's a friend. I want to help him. I can't. I don't want him to hurt himself but what can I do? Really. I offered to take him to the medical center, to his doctor to get a refill and he said, no, he'd ride his bike. Oh God! He doesn't remember where his car is. I guess that's a blessing considering his current condition. I offered again and then he got sidetracked by another neighbor and I slipped away. I hope nothing bad happens to him while he's in this state of mind but as my sponsor Norris has said many times, you can't make people believe what you want them to believe and you can't live their lives for them either. You can only take care of you.

4 Comments:

Blogger JJ said...

Sounds like right now he is manic. Could last for a while ... you are a good friend but unless he gets back on his meds I say he will be in the depressive state soon enough....
I see you,
JJ

3:29 PM  
Blogger dAAve said...

Damn, I love this weather. Great day for a bike ride.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Hannen said...

If you remember I gave my bike away! It's OK, Max and I walked for about 45 minutes today. It was still a beautiful day to be out and about.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Gooey Munster said...

Your side of the street! Is it funny how we want to clean all the streets in the city? You have a good heart.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home